Re: [vox-tech] DVD playback and burning under Debian; IDE DVD+/-RWdrive

Re: [vox-tech] DVD playback and burning under Debian; IDE DVD+/-RWdrive

I feel pretty comfortable using flash like a hard drive with some
precautionary measures (with or without jffs).  The number of times you
can write on flash compared to DVD-RW are a couple orders of magnitude of
difference, and comparing them makes it seem like they're on a similar
level, but they're not (not that you were implying that.)  Just a footnote
here...  ignore me.

-Mark

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Bill Broadley wrote:

> > One small problem, the disks will wear out after a few thosand write cycles.
> > This will happen faster then you think, as the superblock and whatnot get
> > written to quite often.
>
> Correct.  So if you create 4000 small files you can write a very few number
> of blocks very often.
>
> Compact flash has a very similar problem.
>
> There are two strategies to fix this:
> 	Load leveling - evening out the numbers of reads and writes across blocks
> 	Load reduction - reducing the total number of reads and writes.
>
> JFFS2 does both.  CDRW's have an advantage that they are basically linearly
> address (blocks 0-N).  Compact flashs alas is not, so every vendor can make
> their own attempt to address either of the above points.... or not.  Very
> frustrating because it makes it very hard to do the right thing without
> seeing inside the "black box" of a CF.
>
> So JFFS2 sounds like a really good fit for CDRW's, I don't think it will
> have any problem with a 5GB filesystem, but I don't know that for sure.
>
> If anyone finds additional info please post it.
>

> --
> Bill Broadley
> Mathematics
> UC Davis