Re: [vox-tech] DVD playback and burning under Debian; IDE DVD+/-RW drive

Re: [vox-tech] DVD playback and burning under Debian; IDE DVD+/-RW drive

> One small problem, the disks will wear out after a few thosand write cycles.
> This will happen faster then you think, as the superblock and whatnot get
> written to quite often.

Correct.  So if you create 4000 small files you can write a very few number
of blocks very often.

Compact flash has a very similar problem.

There are two strategies to fix this:
	Load leveling - evening out the numbers of reads and writes across blocks
	Load reduction - reducing the total number of reads and writes.

JFFS2 does both.  CDRW's have an advantage that they are basically linearly
address (blocks 0-N).  Compact flashs alas is not, so every vendor can make
their own attempt to address either of the above points.... or not.  Very
frustrating because it makes it very hard to do the right thing without
seeing inside the "black box" of a CF.

So JFFS2 sounds like a really good fit for CDRW's, I don't think it will
have any problem with a 5GB filesystem, but I don't know that for sure.

If anyone finds additional info please post it.

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics