2003 Nov 30 12:54

[vox-tech] Mozilla profile issue (WinXP; sorry ;) )

[vox-tech] Mozilla profile issue (WinXP; sorry ;) )

[ NOTE: As I wrote this, I figured out the fix, so consider this just
  a documentation post ;^) ]

Okay, so I'm running Mozilla on this WinXP laptop.  Suddely,
(probably due to the fact that the laptop died due to battery drain)
Mozilla is refusing to launch!

I get a "Select User Profile" dialog.  The only available profile is
"default", but when I click "Start Mozilla" it yells at me:

  Mozilla cannot use the profile "default" because it is in use.
  Please choose another profile or create a new one.

Well, I don't want to create a new profile, and I certainly don't want
to delete my existing profile (and lose my bookmarks).  What do I do!?

I imagine there's some "lockfile" somewhere that didn't get erased when
the machine died.  (Mozilla sets itself up with a 'quicklaunch' thingy
in the Windows taskbar, so even if the windows are all closed, I guess it
still hangs around, and was running when the battery died.)

I checked in the Mozilla profiles folder:

  C:\Documents ... \Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\szwg1x8u.slt\

and found a "parent.lock" file, but was unable to delete it.

Finally, I did the three-finger salute and found a "MOZILLA.EXE" process
sitting there, even though nothing was in the taskbar, and no quick-launch
icon in the tray.  I killed it, and "parent.lock" disappeared, and I was
able to get back in.

WHEW