2003 Nov 26 20:06

Re: DVD-9 (was: Re: [vox-tech] DVD playback and burning...)

On Wed 26 Nov 03,  9:10 AM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@myrealbox.com> said:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >if you can wait a bit, DVD writers that can write DVD-9 media will be
> >coming out soon.  this will double the 4.7GB you can get on DVD-5 media.
> >
> >it also means you can make backups of your commercial DVD's without
> >fiddling with them, like yanking foreign language, yanking subtitles,
> >compressing, etc.
> >
> >i think phillips is coming out with it first.
> >
> >pete
> >

> That would be really cool, but how much will these things cost?

heh.  that's the rub.   :)

> I'm
> guessing $500 - $1000, which is out of my price range.  Also, what
> DVD9-R media will be available and at what cost?
>
> Anyway, I tend to wait until brand-new technology isn't so brand new
> anymore.  I'm happy with DVD5 burning right now, which is a huge step
> above CDR.  The cost of DVD4+/-R is really affordable now, too.
>
> Jonathan

i TOTALLY agree, but the thing is, i can wait.  i'm guessing the DVD-9
writers would drop to affordable levels after the first christmas.  i'm
willing to wait a year for that.

as for the media itself, i'm not sure about the price difference, but
i'd be willing to bet it won't be too horrible.  there might be a
difference to start out with, but just like the 700+MB vs 650MB CD's,
i'm sure it'll even out eventually.

pete