2003 Nov 26 09:21

DVD-9 (was: Re: [vox-tech] DVD playback and burning...)

DVD-9 (was: Re: [vox-tech] DVD playback and burning...)

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
if you can wait a bit, DVD writers that can write DVD-9 media will be
coming out soon.  this will double the 4.7GB you can get on DVD-5 media.

it also means you can make backups of your commercial DVD's without
fiddling with them, like yanking foreign language, yanking subtitles,
compressing, etc.

i think phillips is coming out with it first.

pete

That would be really cool, but how much will these things cost? I'm guessing $500 - $1000, which is out of my price range. Also, what DVD9-R media will be available and at what cost?

Anyway, I tend to wait until brand-new technology isn't so brand new anymore. I'm happy with DVD5 burning right now, which is a huge step above CDR. The cost of DVD4+/-R is really affordable now, too.

Jonathan