January 6: Social gathering
2003 Nov 26 03:29

Re: [vox-tech] DVD playback and burning under Debian; IDE DVD+/-RW drive

Re: [vox-tech] DVD playback and burning under Debian; IDE DVD+/-RW drive

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 01:31 am, Bill Kendrick nbs-at-sonic.net
|lugod| wrote:
> I was at Fry's the other day, looking to FINALLY buy a CD burner.
> I happened to run into a LUGOD attendee (Steve, who I vaguely recognized,
> but sadly barely remembered - sorry, Steve!), who recommended a DVD burner
> they were having a mail-in rebate deal for.
>
> So, I decided that 4.7GB is, indeed, much greater than 800MB, so I went
> with it!  It's a Sony DRU-510A "DVD +/- RW / +/- R / CD" ATAPI/EIDE drive,
> which sports the following capabilities and corresponding R/W speeds:
>
>   DVD+RW   (4x)
>   DVD-RW   (2x)
>   DVD+R    (4x)
>   DVD-R    (4x)
>   DVD-ROM (12x)
>   CD-RW   (16x)
>   CD-R    (24x)
>   CD-ROM  (32x)
>
> Aside from that fact that I have NO IDEA what "DVD+RW" is, compared to
> "DVD-RW", it seems neato-nifty-keen...

+RW is random writeable. You could format it as ext2 and mount it :)

> My problem is, I don't know the first thing about this kind of stuff.
> Once upon a time, I had an IDE CDR drive installed, and Mike Simons and
> I tried to get it working.  Never seemed to succeed in burning anything,
> and then eventually failed even as a CDROM drive, so I decided it probably
> wasn't Mike and I being stupid, and probably just the drive slowing dying.
>

> I've played a little with the CD capabilities of the drive, and have just
> burned my VERY FIRST CD!!!  (My recent TuxPaint ISO for the demo I had
> at the Co-op back in October.)

Well, if you've got it burning CD's then you're half way there.

I've got also got a sony multiformat burner. Mine only really seems to like
to work right with cdrecrod-ProDVD. It's a little picky about blanks, but
otherwise works well. I'd be happy to lend you a DVD+RW to play with.

Having one around was great when I was figuring out how to go from TiVo to
DVD.

Hey, now that you've got a burner, how about you let me hack your TiVo to
allow you to extract video over the LAN? ;-)

> I haven't the foggiest idea how to get it to play DVDs, and therefore
> haven't even CONSIDERED buying any DVD-ROMs to try and burn. :^)

install libdvdcss, then ogle (or mplayer, but it's menu support sucks). I
personaly compiled these from source....

Intrestingly enough, both do a wonderful job of playing DVDs, and totaly
ignore copy protection (that's actualy libdvdcss). If it can't get the
decryption key for the disc from the drive (mine can't as my drive has no
region code set) it just cracks the keys :) (this takes less then 10 seconds
on most discs)

ogle and mplayer both can also play DVDs that have been copied to my hard
drive using dd :)

> Noone here happens to have experience with DVD reading and writing using
> an IDE drive under 2.4.18 Kernel in Debian Woody...??? :^) :^)

I'm running 2.4.19 on this beast, but not debian.

I know doug does dvd burning and whatnot under linux, but I do not know what
distro he uses.

- --