2003 Nov 21 18:28

Re: [vox-tech] linux froze on startup

Roy

You don't say if this is a laptop or a desktop. If this is a desktop (I think I remember who you are...), let's first try to turn off the pcmcia daemon.

Bootup with no cable connected to the ethernet. Click the kmenu - system settings - server settings - services. Find pcmcia in the list and uncheck it. Also, click on pcmcia so that it is highlighted, and click the stop button. Exit and say 'yes' to save your change.

Ok, now let's try to get ethernet working. Click kmenu - system settings - network. If there is an entry in the 'device' tab, choose edit. If not, choose new to make a device entry. Enter your network settings (DHCP or static information). Click OK. Click on the entry and then click 'activate'. Open a web browser and see if you can see your favorite internet url.

Reboot to make sure the network comes up OK at boot time.

Let us know if you have trouble with any of these steps.

Jonathan

Roy Wollman wrote:
Hi,
I just installed Linux Red Hat 9 at the last installfest.
I installed a network connection but didn't check it (no network for that)
When I start my computer under linux if the network cablr is pluged in
the computer freezes on startup at the :
"pcmcia: "
stage. (it passes the ethernat check [OK]) if the network is not connected I run up smoothly
no problem.
Any suggestion as what I can do know will be appriciated
Thanks
Roy