2003 Nov 21 16:54

[vox-tech] winex (Was Re: dual booting with win2k woes)

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 10:01:58AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hi bryan,
>
> DOS programs generally don't work on wine.  so if you're talking about
> really old ones like redneck rampage, you need to use DOSEMU.
>
> if you're talking about win32 stuff, what games?  most of the older
> stuff works really well on winex.
>
> and note the "x" at the end of "winex".   wine is not winex.  and winex
> is not wine.
>
> winex:
>    you must pay for it.  works out to be $5/month
>    specifically for games
>
> wine:
>    free
>    not too good with games.  useless for direct-x stuff.
>
> note that i've been told that DOSEMU can run some win32 apps (by DOSEMU
> developers), and wine/winex can run a few DOS apps (by wine developers).
> but i have yet to see an example for myself.  ;)
>
> pete

Pete,
I do indeed have winex. The game in question is Longbow 2, which came
out around 1997. It wants DirectX 5ish, I think. Transgaming doesn't
even have a support page for Longbow 2, although they do have one for
Jane's i686, the submarine sim that came out directly after Longbow 2
(or thereabouts). Although they aren't supporting it yet, the one
comment a user had was that the game's installer complains about being
unable to access the CD, then dies. I experienced the same thing with
Longbow 2. To me, that almost sounds like something that might just
require a little config tweaking, but like I said, I'm not good with
wine/winex.

Thanks for reminding me about dosemu. Another program I was wanting
to run was Thrustmaster C&CC, the utility used for programming TM
joysticks and throttles. It's a DOS program.
(apt-get install... attempt to run...)
Ok, what does "Sorry, there is no operating system. Have a nice day!"
mean? Hahaha so much to learn.

-Bryan