2003 Nov 21 14:19

Re: [vox-tech] html question

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 07:43:54AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> dear lugod,
>

> consider:
>

>    SPAN.head
>    {
>       font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial;
>       color: white;
>       font-variant: small-caps;
>       font-weight: 900;
>       word-spacing: 5px;
>       letter-spacing: 2px;
>       font-size: small;
>       font-weight: bold;
>    }
>
>    BODY
>    {
>       font-family: Times;
>    }
>
>    <BODY>
>    <SPAN class="head">hello world</SPAN>
>    </BODY>

I'm assuming the CSS is wrapped in <STYLE></STYLE>?

> on my browser (opera 7.22), "hello world" is in times font with
> small-caps variant.
>
> i would've expected verdana font with small-caps variant.

So would I. It works as expected in Mozilla.

> shouldn't the <SPAN> tag take precedence over <BODY> since <BODY> is an
> "outer" tag?

Yes. Could you repost with your actual URL, or a /tested/ snippet that
shows what you're having problems with?

BTW, word-spacing or letter-spacing are probably better specified
relative to the font-size: that is, in ems.

-Micah