2003 Nov 21 09:41

Re: [vox-tech] rpm that refuses to go away

Re: [vox-tech] rpm that refuses to go away

This is a general annoyance of the rpm system. To install an rpm, you include the entire filename. To uninstall, you include just the program name, with no version number/name. It is not always clear what the core name is supposed to be...

I'm guessing for your case, you just need to use "hsfmodem". First try to query the package:

rpm -q hsfmodem

If it tells you it exists, then try:

rpm -e hsfmodem

Jonathan

David Margolis wrote:
I'm helping a guy on a redhat 9 system get his modem working.  It's one of
those nasty winmodems, but is supposed to be well supported by the
hfsmodem driver.

He tried to install (and I'm making up the exact file name):
hsfmodem-1.2.3-i686.rpm

This didn't work, and I think it's because he was supposed to install
hsfmodem-1.2.3-athlon.rpm (the help files say the achitecture is important
for getting this particular driver running).

Anyway, I tried to run: rpm -e hsfmodem-1.2.3
and I get something like: sorry, hsfmodem-1.2.3 is not installed

So I go: rpm -ivh (or -Uvh) hsfmodem-1.2.3-athlon.rpm
and I get: hsfmodem-1.2.3 interfers with hsfmodem-1.2.3

The question is, how do I fool rpm into believing one package is not there
so I can install the other if it appears there seems to be something stuck
in rpm's database (or whatever system it uses to keep track of installed
packages)?

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dave Margolis