2003 Nov 21 09:49

Re: [vox-tech] User with root privileges

Re: [vox-tech] User with root privileges

David Margolis wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

  On my SuSE box, I can make any user a member of the group "root" and they
  will have full privileges.
that's not quite accurate.  UID != GID.

pete

Yeah, but that's still not a bad idea.  If files owned by root are also
owned by the group root, then adding joeuser to the group root would have
largely the desired effect (without messing with sudo or the root user
itself).
I have always included my personal user account in the group "root". However, few "root" files have write permission for the "root" group, so this really doesn't change much for me. Anytime I want to do something to the system, I have become root anyway.

Jonathan