2003 Nov 20 14:54

Re: [vox-tech] User with root privileges

Re: [vox-tech] User with root privileges

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:13:49 -0800, Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> wrote:

Having root privileges means your UID is 0 - i.e. you are
logged in as root.

I have never tried this, but I suppose you could go into
/etc/passwd, etc/shadow and /etc/group and rename root to
some other name.

But there is surely a better way to do whatever it is that
your friend wants to do.
I'd suggest going with Tim's method. You can have multiple usernames with the same UID. The only confusion will be when programs will grab a name to match a UID, it will grab the first one, assuming there is no others. i.e. ls will show your files as belonging to root if your UID is 0 you're logged in under another name.

I've seen the problem with renaming root... I had a friend who decided "I wonder what would happen if I renamed root to God" and all sorts of programs started getting confused. of course he may have just missed making the change in /etc/shadow or /etc/group, but I'm not sure I'd want to take the chance.