January 6: Social gathering
2003 Nov 21 14:02

Re: [vox-tech] dual booting with win2k woes

On Thu 20 Nov 03,  9:20 AM, Bryan Richter <btrichter@ucdavis.edu> said:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:51:27AM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> >
> > Dunno about Win2K but in my experience Windows wants to be
> > on the first drive.  Try cabling the Windows disk as hda and
> > see if it boots up.
> >
> <stuff>
> > -- Rod
>
> If it makes a difference, Win2K doesn't have to be installed on the
> first drive. However, the first drive must indeed belong to windows.
> Once, I was installing win2k on the second half of a SCSI, and (without
> telling me much about it) it made a small partition at the beginning of
> my new, unpartitioned IDE disk. I think the partition was around 15Mb.
> Most recently, I installed win2k on hdb of a newer, bigger IDE, and
> since hda already existed and was unformatted, it went ahead and gave me
> FAT32 there. Luckily that wasn't too bad, since I am planning on
> installing Win98 on hda so I can play some of my ancient games (games
> that think Win2k is WinNT, and tell me they don't support WinNT). :) And
> yeah, I've tried running those games on WineX to no avail. I'm not an
> expert with Wine, really.

hi bryan,

DOS programs generally don't work on wine.  so if you're talking about
really old ones like redneck rampage, you need to use DOSEMU.

if you're talking about win32 stuff, what games?  most of the older
stuff works really well on winex.

and note the "x" at the end of "winex".   wine is not winex.  and winex
is not wine.

winex:
   you must pay for it.  works out to be $5/month
   specifically for games

wine:
   free
   not too good with games.  useless for direct-x stuff.

note that i've been told that DOSEMU can run some win32 apps (by DOSEMU
developers), and wine/winex can run a few DOS apps (by wine developers).
but i have yet to see an example for myself.  ;)

pete

--
"Nobody steals our chicks.  And lives." -- Duke Nukem (played on Linux)