2003 Nov 16 17:31

Re: [vox-tech] recent RedHat glibc upgrade, warning

Re: [vox-tech] recent RedHat glibc upgrade, warning

<snip>

> p.s. I am slowly switching all my machines to gentoo.  Very slowly...

<snip>

I have been in the process of getting one of my machines switched to gentoo.
It's awesome, and I find myself wondering: why did I wait so long to try this
distro out?  It is _so_ cool.

I was frustrated with the redhat install that I had on it.  The rpmdb kept
crashing.  Yes, crashing the machine every time I would access the rpmdb.  Yes,
I tried rebuilding, reinitializing, and relinking the db, with no avail.  So,
very late one night, I just said 'screw it' and wiped the redhat install, and
began installing gentoo.  It took a day and a half to get X working with DRI
and my vid card (it would have gone quicker, but my own inexperience with
'portage' and the init scripts took a bit longer), but now I have _THE BEST_
install of linux that the aging little 450Mhz desktop has ever seen.  Let's
just say that it renders 'glxgears' at twice the frames than redhat did (not
too surprising).

So, if you haven't tried it: give gentoo a try.  It's now sits healthily on top
as my favorite distro.

jan

p.s. I write this because if I had read something like this before I had
installed RH9 on my second 'play' box, I might have chosen a different distro.

p.p.s.  I had issues with init scripts not starting dhcp on my eth0 card.  I
just did the 'ifconfig' and the 'dhcpcd eth0' manually after startup,
everything was fine (this is for the 20030911 version from liveCD).  It's a
known bug, I would expect a fix rather soon.

=====
POLITICS, n.  A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of
principles.  The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.