2003 Nov 13 13:10

Re: [vox-tech] Kiosk Distro/Desktop/Browser combo

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 05:54:04PM -0800, David Siedband wrote:
> Any recommendations for browser, desktop, and distro combos for a kiosk
> set-up?
>
> So far I've heard good things about Opera's Kiosk Mode and KDE's as
> well.
> I'm thinking Debian for the distro...
>
> Other options I should check out?
>
> Experiences, recommendations, horror stories, etc?
>
> TIA,

There's a whole thread about the beginning design issues that starts
here: http://lugod.org/mailinglists/archives/vox/2002-09/msg00263.html
(almost a year ago - Debian has since acquired KDE-3 and GNOME-2.)

We have had several people set up kiosks in the past year or so.

Bill Kendrick one for Newsbeat. It runs KDE3 in kiosk mode.

Darrick Servis did one for the Davis Food Co-op. It runs mozilla with
some special chrome (for more information, see
http://lugod.org/mailinglists/archives/vox-tech/2003-04/msg00246.html)

You can also read as both of these men begin laying their plans for how
to construct one of these beasts at: