2003 Nov 05 01:51

Re: [vox-tech] Qt/C++ libraries question

Re: [vox-tech] Qt/C++ libraries question

On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 01:22 AM, David Margolis wrote:

Hello,

I don't know if there are many Qt developers on this list, but this seems
like it might be more of a C++/gcc question anyway.

I have built a Qt app on my Linux box that _should_ run on Mac OSX. To do
this I am supposed to statically link the qt library.

1. I don't know how I am supposed to move/compile/whatever this library.
Do you have a Mac OS X machine to play around on? If so, the way to get open source libraries (and software in general) is Fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net). Qt versions 2 and 3 are available in Fink.

If you are planning to cross-compile, I know nothing about that.

2. I don't know where to put it or how to call it _statically_ from my
app.
The question isn't how to call the functions, but how to link the library. I think (warning: I could be wrong) that gcc will generally tell the linker to use a dynamic library if it is available, and otherwise will link a static library. I'm pretty sure that you can pass an option to gcc to change this behavior.

You might check out http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/porting/index.php for some tips on porting apps to OS X. It covers some weird little details that you should be aware of.

Good luck!
Matt

Any ideas (or URLs or anything) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave Margolis

Matt Holland
Population Biology Graduate Group