2003 Nov 05 15:10

[vox-tech] gentoo's "portage" vs. debian's "apt-get"

[vox-tech] gentoo's "portage" vs. debian's "apt-get"

It is time for me to move away from RedHat. At the moment, I am considering Gentoo and Debian (with the libranet installer).

A distribution specific feature I consider important is the method for installing and updating software. I know that Debian uses "apt-get", and I have seen a number of posts on this list with apt-get examples. Gentoo's website advertises "portage" as its method for installing and updating, using the "emerge" command.

I'd like to hear (concisely) pros/cons of these two methods; whether they just work, or if they require some tinkering; and the availability of software through each.

Please avoid "but my distro is best" responses ;-)

Thanks!
Jonathan