2003 Nov 03 23:41

Re: [vox-tech] Serial on RedHat 9?

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:24:43PM -0800, Mitch Patenaude wrote:
> I've got a generic, straight, generic RH 9.0 install on my IBM thinkpad
> T20, and it appears that it doesn't have serial drivers in the kernel
> by default, and I can't even figure out which drivers I should load.
>
> (lsmod doesn't show them... cat /proc/interrupts doesn't show irq 3 or
> 4 in use, /proc/ioports missing, etc)
>
> Can anybody point me in the right direction?  Please don't tell me that
> I need to do a kernel build just to get serial ports working?!

check out your kernel configuration files (which list the options your
kernel was compiled with) in /boot and look for CONFIG_SERIAL

if you see CONFIG_SERIAL=y, then serial support is compiled in, and
isn't even a module. If you see CONFIG_SERIAL=n (hard to believe) then
you will need to recompile your kernel.

also, see whether your kernel is recognizing the serial port with
dmesg|grep ttyS

char-major-154 should be totally unrelated.
you also cut off /proc/ioports too early, my serial port /dev/ttyS0 is
at 03f8-03ff, my controllerful modem on /dev/ttyS4 (looks like a serial
port to the machine) has an even higher address. Neither of these show
in /proc/interrupts. (and they both work just fine.)

/dev/ttyS1 should correspond to windows' COM2: