2003 Oct 29 21:48

[vox-tech] IDE master/slave speed

I'm going to begin working on installing a minimalist Debian system on a spare really old computer tomorrow for the Hillel House, and today I did a hardware upgrade installing an additional hard drive that I canniblaized from another spare really old computer they had lying around.

The new configuration is as follows:

64MB ram
/dev/hda 1GB
/dev/hdc CD-ROM
/dev/hdd 2GB

/dev/hdd is the drive installed this morning, because that's where there was physically space for it, and I that's how I could connect the IDE cable after I found the physical space.

I recall hearing somewhere that if a HDD is a slave to something slow (like a CD-ROM drive), then that HDD will will also be really slow.

I'd like to find out whether I'll need to re-arrange these drives to get decent performance, so I have three questions:
a) Is a CD-ROM drive really slow as an IDE device?
b) Will a slow master slow down the slave?

If I have to rearrange the drives as master/slave, then:
c) Do cable positions matter concerning master/slave configuration or just the jumper settings?

In case you all want to comment, my proposed configuration is:
* x-window-system
* icewm
* xftree
* galeon
* openoffice.org
* custom kernel with the supermount patch applied from the package
kernel-patch-2.4-supermount-ng, because I don't expect them to
understand or care about mount/umount logic on their floppies.