January 6: Social gathering
2003 Oct 28 14:59

Re: [vox-tech] samba help: win2k

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 11:37, p@dirac.org wrote:
>    i can browse linux from win98
>    i can browse win98 from linux
>
>    i can browse win2k from win98
>    i can browse win2k from linux
>
>    i can NOT browse win98 from win2k.
>    i can NOT browse linux from win2k.

I'd try creating a lmhosts file on the win2k machine with an entry for
the linux server, and other static IP machines on the network.

You may also want to setup satan to pretend to be a WINS server to help
with the netbios issues.

If your linux server doesn't have a static IP, the lmhosts file isn't
going to work, but the WINS server should.

I've always given my samba boxes a static IP so I could get to them via
\\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\share when Windows decided it didn't know where it
was.

Setting the WINS server and importing the lmhosts file can be done via
the network adapter properties *mess*.

Google should be able to help you with the lmhosts file layout.

A single entry would look like this:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    satan

Cheers,

Chris