2003 Oct 28 14:47

Re: [vox-tech] samba help: win2k

--- p@dirac.org wrote:
> dear jeff, mike and jan,
>
> new information.  i should mention this, because it's relevent.  we have
> three main computers:
>
> satan   linux          my main system.  has printer.
> navalle linux/win98    rhonda's main system / engineering stuff
> lucifer linux/win2k    my gaming machine / flash stuff
>
> recently i've been playing around with flash MX, so i made lucifer a
> dual boot to run flash.  here's the new information:
>
> samba is _already_ set up.  i can browse satan's folders from win98 and
> vice versa.  samba works great between these two systems.
>
> here's the new information.  out of curiosity, i booted up win98.  not
> only does samba still work (i can browse satan from win98), but in the
> network neighborhood, i see:
>
>    * satan   (linux)
>    * navalle (win98)
>    * lucifer (win2k)
>
> all systems are browsable from win98.  i can traverse the win2k
> filesystem.  works great.
>
> now i walk 2 feet over the win2k console.  network neighborhood is
> called "computers near me".
>
> i double click it, and get "workgroup is not accessible.  the network
> path was not found".   it's my understanding that win2k should at least
> list itself.
>
> therefore:
>
>    i can browse linux from win98
>    i can browse win98 from linux
>
>    i can browse win2k from win98
>    i can browse win2k from linux
>
>    i can NOT browse win98 from win2k.
>    i can NOT browse linux from win2k.
>
> win2k is giving everyone permission to browse it's filesystem.  however,
> it doesn't know how to find other systems and cannot browse other
> filesystems.
>
> mike, because samba works between linux and win98, that's why i said i
> think the problem is the win2k system.  something is definitely screwy
> with the win2k system.

It sounds to me like a netbios/naming issue.  I could be wrong, but try doing
the `net view \\xx.xx.xx.x` from lucifer to satan's ip.  If that works, then
try enabling netbios over tcp/ip in network settings.  It sounds like the win2k
box isn't talking to the local master, and can't get a browse list.

> this is a LOT more complicated than NFS!!!

That goes without saying ;)  How else would M$ make money if networks didn't
need an MCSE to adminstrate them?

> any ideas?
>
> pete
>

> --

=====
POLITICS, n.  A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of
principles.  The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.