2003 Oct 28 14:59

Re: [vox-tech] samba help: win2k

dear jeff, mike and jan,

new information.  i should mention this, because it's relevent.  we have
three main computers:

satan   linux          my main system.  has printer.
navalle linux/win98    rhonda's main system / engineering stuff
lucifer linux/win2k    my gaming machine / flash stuff

recently i've been playing around with flash MX, so i made lucifer a
dual boot to run flash.  here's the new information:

samba is _already_ set up.  i can browse satan's folders from win98 and
vice versa.  samba works great between these two systems.

here's the new information.  out of curiosity, i booted up win98.  not
only does samba still work (i can browse satan from win98), but in the
network neighborhood, i see:

   * satan   (linux)
   * navalle (win98)
   * lucifer (win2k)

all systems are browsable from win98.  i can traverse the win2k
filesystem.  works great.

now i walk 2 feet over the win2k console.  network neighborhood is
called "computers near me".

i double click it, and get "workgroup is not accessible.  the network
path was not found".   it's my understanding that win2k should at least
list itself.

therefore:

   i can browse linux from win98
   i can browse win98 from linux

   i can browse win2k from win98
   i can browse win2k from linux

   i can NOT browse win98 from win2k.
   i can NOT browse linux from win2k.

win2k is giving everyone permission to browse it's filesystem.  however,
it doesn't know how to find other systems and cannot browse other
filesystems.

mike, because samba works between linux and win98, that's why i said i
think the problem is the win2k system.  something is definitely screwy
with the win2k system.

this is a LOT more complicated than NFS!!!

any ideas?

pete