2003 Oct 27 14:41

Re: [vox-tech] BLASPHEMY (i.e., removing Linux from a dual-bootsystem)

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 02:03:05PM -0800, Richard Crawford wrote:
> > After much wrangling and deliberating, I finally went and (very
> > regretfully) removed Debian from my dual-boot Sony Vaio.  Deleting the OS
> > itself was easy enough -- I just used Partition Magic to delete the
> > partitions and reformat them as NTFS partitions that I can use to store
> > Windows files and data.  (The reason I did this was because there wasn't
> > enough space on this laptop for all of the Windows programs I wanted, and
> > I already have three -- soon to be four -- Linux boxes in the house; I can
> > live with one full Windows computer.)
> >
> > The problem is that LILO is still lurking on the computer; whenever I boot
> > up the computer, it still offers me a choice whether to boot Windows or
> > Linux.  Is there a way to delete LILO so that I can simply boot right into
> > Windows that won't require reinstalling WinXP?
>
> Yes. You can run windows' fdisk with the option "/mbr". That will
> reinstall the boot partition to point only to windows.

DOS and Windows 9x have FDISK... Windows 2000 and XP have the DISKPART
utility in the Windows Resource Kit or from the Microsoft website.  I have
not used it myself.  I usually remind people at Installfests that they
should not be too upset if we have to wipe their disk... you ought to
remind yourself of that before you proceed, since this is a delicate
operation.

Also, you may want to get the word from the other side... MSKB Q171611 [1].

---

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q171/6/11.ASP

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing