2003 Oct 23 09:10

Re: [vox-tech] possible to exit ssh with a program running?

Quoting Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@myrealbox.com>:

> I know that if I start a terminal window in X, run a program, and then
>
> manually close the window, the program dies.  I also know that if I
> secure-shell into another machine and run a program, I cannot exit
> without first ending that program.
>
> Is there any way to start a program for a shell window and leave it
> running when I close the window?  Also, is there anyway to leave a
> program running remotely, started through an ssh session, and exit
> ssh?

$ nohup sleep 10000 &
$ exit
<login again>
$ ps -auxww | grep -v grep | grep sleep
timriley  1418  0.0  0.1  1292  372 ?        SN   08:56   0:00 sleep 10000

The '&' puts it in the background, and the 'nohup' tells the shell
to keep it running if you log out.