2003 Oct 18 12:58

Re: [vox-tech] X-No-Archive Inheritance?

On Fri 17 Oct 03,  1:46 PM, Micah J. Cowan <micah@cowan.name> said:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 06:37:23AM -0700, p@dirac.org wrote:
> > On Fri 17 Oct 03,  4:00 AM, Ryan Castellucci <ryan+lugod@cal.net> said:
> > >
> > > If I post a message with 'X-No-Archive: Yes' will replys also not be
> > > archived?
> >
> > unfortunately not.  two things:
> >
> > 1. we COULD search the body for X-No-Archive, so if someone quoted your
> >    email, your wishes would be respected.
> >
> >    it wouldn't be perfect.  what if they trimmed that line?  it would
> >    depend on a quoting system using ">".  you couldn't post an email
> >    with a lines like /^X-No-Archive.*/.
>
> Trimmed? X-No-Archive is supposed to be a header, right?

not really---it can be whatever we want it to be.  there's no law saying
we can't cook up a home made system.  non-traditional, but possible.

> I wouldn't
> expect that to show up in the quoting message at all.
>
> > 2. but you may also ask "so what?".  it's a public forum.  you
> >    shouldn't expect posts not to be archived.
> >
> > if you have an idea how to implement a threadful X-No-Archive, and it's
> > either easy to implement or you want to implement it yourself, then i'm
> > all for it.
> >
> > just realize that X-No-Archive is like copy protection.  the responder
> > can bypass any system we institute.
>
> Yeah, but I think the scenario he wishes to avoid would be:
>
>   1. Alice posts potentially sensitive information to list, setting
>      X-No-Archive.
>
>   2. Bob posts a response, which includes a quote containing said
>      information; but either doesn't realize the information may be
>      sensitive, or forgets to set X-No-Archive.

of course.

> Maybe the first 5 "Bobs" remember: but it only takes one accidental
> forgetting to post it for the world to see. It's far from the ideal,
> which would be that if a "Bob" would have to *explicitly* enable
> archiving from such a response if that's really what he means.

right.

> One implementation which would seem to work well would be for a filter
> to check the headers to all messages in the "References" header; and
> if it found X-No-Archive, keep the response unarchived also. This is
> not trivial to implement though (but not too difficult, either), and I
> don't think I care quite enough to spend time on it. :-(

heh.  that's always the issue, though, ain't it?  :-)

yeah, i've tossed that exact same idea onto vox-officers, but somebody
has to write it.

pete