2003 Oct 15 15:39

Re: [vox-tech] ripping video: wierd interleaving effect on fast motion

Re: [vox-tech] ripping video: wierd interleaving effect on fast motion

David Margolis wrote:
OK,

I'm jumping into this conversation late, but here are my  2 cents.

1. I have a KWorld el-generico TV tuner that works just fine with
bttv and xawtv.  I believe it is the same chipset that comes in the
Haupaggue (spelling?) cards. I love xawtv.  It is one of the _killer apps_
for sure.  I configured all the settings in .xawtv and got exactly the
TV in a window while I'm reading my e-mail I was looking for.

2. I've tried serveral combinations of recording with xawtv and mencoder
and ending up with nothing even remotely inspiring.  I always hoped I
could write scripts called by cron to do some serious command line
PVRing, but haven't gotten close yet.  It's got to be possible, right?
That's what TIVO is all about: Linux with a TV Card, a nice case, some
specialized software, and a remote control.
You might want to check out MythTV (http://mythtv.org). I haven't used it, because my TV card can only capture under Windows, but it looks like a very slick project. If nothing else, you might get some tips from looking around.

Also, I've found the mplayer-users list (archived on mplayerhq.hu) to be a useful source of video capture/encoding tips.

Matt

3. Here is the part I don't get!  These cards are supposed to do HARDWARE
MPEG 1 and 2 encoding.  Savign to AVI and then re-encoding into some MPEG
format seems like ripping MP3s into WAV and then back out to OGG.  I admit
I don't get how any of this works, but shouldn't it be more straigtforward
to just _catch_ the already encoded MPEG data and put it somewhere???

Dave M.