2003 Oct 15 00:42

[vox-tech] Re: Help - kernel 2.4.22 hangs

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 03:37:13PM -0700, Cam Ellison wrote:
> The box has an Asus A7N8X with an Athlon CPU, and runs Debian
> testing/unstable.  There are 2 RT8139 NICs.

http://home.t-online.de/home/Johannes.Deisenhofer/nforce2linux.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261.html

In your kernel config you probably also should have:
CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC is not set

I was unsuccessful getting a 2.4.22 kernel to work properly and ended up using
2.4.20. After installing nVidia's nvgart patch, ethernet driver and
sound driver a number of problems with the nForce2 chipset got
fixed.

usb is still a problem. I've been able to get a Sony clie to sync, but
intermittantly. Half the time usb doesn't register the device when
I try to hot sync. Plugging a webcam gets me log message that show the
webcam is noticed, but I don't get a useable device.

> I have a custom 2.4.22 kernel built to use iptables, an ide-cd burner,
> a couple of USB devices (I'm not sure what is relevant to the
> problem), and so on.
>
> The kernel boots to the point of installing the usb modules, and barfs
> on ehci -- modprobe segfaults twice, but it manages to set up the
> scanner.  The next message on the screen is:
>
> Cleaning: /etc/network/ifstate
>
> at which point, it hangs.  Nothing works except a power cycle.
>
> I have fiddled around with a numer of settings, including commenting
> out the "auto" entries in /etc/network/interfaces, to no avail.

Try nVidia's ethernet driver for nForce2 chipset: nvnet.o

--
Jerome