2003 Oct 15 00:42

Re: [vox-tech] ripping video: wierd interleaving effect on fast motion

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 02:17 pm, p@dirac.org wrote:
> hi all,
>
> ok, i ripped a southpark video with:
>
>    System: AMD Athlon 1.3GHz
>            2.4.22 w/ low latency
>            Radeon QD
>            very unloaded machine
>
>    name:         southpark1.avi
>    ripper:       xawtv -noxv
>    audio format: 8bit mono
>    sample rate:  44100
>    video format: 24bit TrueColor (LE: bgr)
>    fps:          30
>    video size:   384x288
>

> the next step is to compress/encode it.
>
> however, i first tried to watch the avi with mplayer.  the quality was
> bad.  whenever there was fast motion, it looked like the areas with fast
> motion had white horizontal lines interleaved with the normal video.
>
> mplayer gave output which looks like it's related to this problem:
>
>    badly interleaved AVI file.  switching to -ni mode.

This refers to audio/video interleave, not interlacing.

> i'm not sure what to do.  i don't think it's a matter of my system not
> being powerful enough.  i did tests at low fps of a few seconds of
> video, and got the same "interleaved" effect.  it was actually worse at
> lower fps.
>
> and there really aren't that many options with xawtv.  i've played with
> fps, sample rate, and video format.  nothing seems to help.
>
> in xawtv, there are options to save as "single file raw video" and
> "apple quicktime" format.  i take it these are container formats that
> sam was talking about.
>
> any suggestions?

try passing mplayer '-vop pp=fd' This uses the FFMpeg Deinterlacer. Your
machine should have no problem doing this in real time.

If it doesn't work, it's because the video was scaled without being
deinterlaced, and you can't really get rid of it.

Also, have you tried recording video with nupplevideo yet? (I mentioned it,
along with some options to use with mencoder in another post)

It should be able to handle 640x480 captures at full framerate.

- --