2003 Oct 14 13:44

Re: [vox-tech] wincast tv: video4linux and copying movies

Re: [vox-tech] wincast tv: video4linux and copying movies

Pete

I have studied this a little, but for the purpose of ripping DVDs rather than capturing input from VHS or television. I was overwhelmed by all the options. In addition to what you discovered and what Mark details, there are other "video codecs" (e.g. XviD seems to be popular), "audio codecs" (AC3, mp2, mp3, Vorbis), and "containers" for the final output (AVI, OGG, VOB, VCD, SVCD, ...). It makes a big difference whether you just want to watch it on your computer or if you want to use a stand-alone DVD player.

Although specifically for ripping DVDs, you might find these 2 sites useful as they describe many of the general concepts:

http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/
http://www.bunkus.org/dvdripping4linux/en/separate/index.html#toc

Good luck! I'll be looking to see what format you end up using.

Jonathan