2003 Oct 14 00:20

Re: [vox-tech] wincast tv: video4linux and copying movies

On Monday 13 October 2003 08:38 pm, p@dirac.org wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i owned a microsoft OS for a few weeks before switching to linux.  in
> those few weeks, i bought a hauppauge wincast TV card.  it worked
> marginarlly well, but the driver had "issues".
>
> anyway, i installed linux soon after and completely forgot about the
> card, giving up on it ever being supported by linux.  that was back in
> the redhat 5.1 days, and supported hardware was ... sparse.
>
> anyway, i recently came across the card and did some research.  it's now
> supported by linux!  hooray!  after...
>
> reading ~linux/Documentation/video4linux/bttv
> recompiling the kernel
> figuring out how to connect the card to my soundcard
> playing with sound settings
> hooking the card up to my VCR
>
> i got the card to work.  it took a bit long to get working under linux,
> but it's much less flakey.  the windows driver crashed very often,
> making the card painful to use (one of the reasons why i forgot about
> the card).
>
> anyway, i want to put some of my old VCR tapes onto hard drive and
> perhaps eventually burn them to DVD.
>

> has anybody ever done this?  i can use xawtv to watch my tapes, but for
> some reason, it doesn't want to record.  it refuses to record the movie
> to disk (although i can get screenshots).
>
> i'm about to go to freshmeat, but if anybody does this kind of thing,
> i'd like to hear what you use and about your experiences with this kind
> of software.  i'm a TOTAL newbie with video on linux, but i'd like to
> get acquainted with it.
>
> thanks!
> pete

Try something like.....

mencoder tv:// -tv driver=v4l:input=1:norm=NTSC:width=640:height=480 -vop
pp=fd/al -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=700:keyint=100 -oac
mp3lame -lameopts aq=9:cbr:br=128

This will deinterlace and record video from my card's composite input,
however I cannot seem to figure out how to get it to record audio, at least
on my card, which simply passes audio through to the sound card via line in.

- --