2003 Oct 07 11:05

[vox-tech] Passing the proper username from Windows XP to Linux via Samba

[vox-tech] Passing the proper username from Windows XP to Linux via Samba

I'm trying to perfect my home network. I have a server running Red Hat 8, and I'd like to connect to it from my Windows XP laptop so that files I create on my laptop can be edited easily from my Linux desktop.

The problem is that even though I map to the network drive with the "user other username and password" function of Windows, and set the username and password to the username and password of my account on the Linux box, files I create with Windows on the Linux box still show up as owned by "nobody". So I can't edit them on my Linux box without chowning them, which is annoying.

I am, of course, using Samba to share out the Linux drive to Windows.

The FM seems to have no answer to this puzzle. Suggestions, anyone?