2003 Oct 03 10:53

[OT] Sending ads to the mailing lists. Was: Re: [vox-tech] I'll help if I can

On Thursday 02 October 2003 10:20 am, p@dirac.org wrote:
> Jay,
>
> This is very not OK.  Not even slightly.  You've:
>
>    * sent non-technical content to vox-tech
>    * used a crummy subject line that indicated nothing
>    * didn't use [OT] for an obviously off topic post.
>    * didn't use X-No-Archive for an obviously off topic post.
>
> All are against list rules.  I'm not even going to go into whether
> you've spammed the list or not.

It's unsolicited, and comercial in nature, and sort of bulk.
It is spam, but a relitivly mild infraction. He could have done worse. For
example, harvesting the list archives, demunging them (trivialy done with
regular expressions) and emailing us all from an open proxy in
$THIRD_WORLD_COUNTRY with bogus forged headers.

Nobody get any ideas.

My impression on 'advertisments' on vox....

Putting a quick plug in your sig is fine, as long as your posts are
considered worthwile contribuions.

"For sale" ads are fine on vox, if you're trying to get rid of some random
computer hardware, or other geek toy, and you don't try to make a living off
of it. As above, you should not do this if you don't frequently make
worthwile posts

Any other thoughts?

> On Thu 02 Oct 03,  7:49 AM, Jay Strauss <me@heyjay.com> said:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > My Oracle consulting business has been on life support for the last year,
> > so about 8-9 months ago I started doing mortgages.  Last night when I
> > left the office, rates where back down below 6% for a 30 yr, and 5 3/8 on
> > a 15yr.  If anyone here can take advantage of a mortgage, give me a call
> > at 312.587.xxxxx or shoot me an email.  I'm licensed in California.  I'll
> > do the
> > best I can to help you out (tell me you're from vox).
> > We've got all kinds of cool mortgage programs that I didn't know existed
> > (and wished I did) before started working here.

- --