2003 Oct 02 15:36

Re: [vox-tech] Are those values in kilobytes?

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 09:37:51PM -0800, Walther The Writer wrote:
> And if so, probably stupid question, but what are they in MB? Also,
> what size of one cylinder when using fdisk? Any comments are appreciated.

Since the df question has been answered, I'll take a stab at the fdisk
question.  The answer is pretty much in fdisk.  Take a look at:

Disk /dev/hda: 82.3 GB, 82348277760 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10011 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

The last line is what you want.  It says that a cylinder is 8225280
bytes.  To find KB, divide that by 1024.  You get 8032.5 KB.  To find
MB, divide the KB # by 1024.  You get 7.84 MB.  You can divide the bytes
by a million to find the approx # of MB, but since a MB is not a
million, but 1024*1024 you will not be accurate, but sometimes close is
good enough.

Mike