2003 Oct 01 16:10

Re: [vox-tech] Disk Failure - Data Retrieval?

Re: [vox-tech] Disk Failure - Data Retrieval?

Pleaase take me off the email list. Thank you.

Michael J Wenk <wenk@praxis.homedns.org> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 07:04:44AM -0700, Marc Elliot Hall wrote:
> As expected (and reported in my unresponded-to-post to this list on
> 09/15/2003), the hard disk I keep my media collection on has failed.
> Since this disk was the first one physically installed in my Mandrake
> box, it was /dev/hda1, all in one large partition. After an unclean
> shutdown, the system would not boot - I got an MBR: 0x?? error (nope,
> didn't write down the last two characters; so I don't know the specific
> cause) on power up. Tried a few more times: no luck, so it wasn't a
> transient error.
>
> Suspecting that the disk was hosed, I then:
>
> * swapped my IDE cables;
> * booted from the Mandrake 9.1 CD in rescue mode;
> * switched parameters in /etc/fstab to establish my mount points for
> var ious directories to /dev/hda and /dev/hdb instead of /dev/hdc and
> /dev/hdd, respectively;
> * wrote the MBR to /dev/hda (that had previously been /dev/hdc);
> * symlinked /etc/lilo.conf to /mnt/etc/lilo.conf;
> * ran LILO; and
> * rebooted.
>
> So, now I'm back in business.
>
> However, I still don't have my media collection online! Because I have
> the original CDs, I didn't keep backups of this particular disk.
> Unfortunate, but reasonable considering the expense of tape backup
> solutions and my current unemployment :^(
>
> Short of re-ripping my insanely large CD collection, is there an easy
> way to retreive the data from my disk? Based on what I've tried so far,
> it appears that the boot sector and/or partition table of the disk are
> corrupted.
>
> What I've tried so far:
>
> # fsck.ext3 /dev/hdc1
> e2fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
> fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hdc1
>
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
> e2fsck -b 8193
>
> # fsck.ext3 /dev/hdc
> e2fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
> fsck.ext3: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
> while trying to open /dev/hdc
> Could this be a zero-length partition?
>
> # fdisk -l /dev/hdc
>
> (Nothing except a blank line results. Just to check, I verified another
> disk:)
>
> # fdisk -l /dev/hda
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40027029504 bytes
> 16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77557 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 1008 * 51 2 = 516096 bytes
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/hda1 * 1 507 255496+ 83 Linux
> /dev/hda2 508 77558 38833368 5 Extended
> /dev/hda5 508 1319 409216+ 82 Linux swap
> /dev/hda6 1320 20102 9466600+ 83 Linux
> /dev/hda7 20103 50911 15527704+ 83 Linux
> /dev/hda8 50912 77558 13429720+ 83 Linux
>
> (so it's not that I can't use fdisk...)

> [...]

What does fsdb show for the disk?

First of all, if you can(Ie, have the space) do a dd image of the drive.
I suspect that you will not be able to do it. I would try looking at it
with the debugger, and perhaps looking at the disk with whatever diag
util the manufacturer makes. However, my best guess is that you are
screwed and should start reripping...