2003 Sep 30 10:22

Re: [vox-tech] Disk Failure - Data Retrieval?

Re: [vox-tech] Disk Failure - Data Retrieval?

Marc,

Based on the errors you're getting, it appears the partition table area of the drive is giving read errors. It may be that the rest of the drive is okay. It appears the filesystem should start at sector 1008 of the drive, so something like

dd if=/dev/hdc of=/some/file bs=512 seek=1008 ...

would allow you to copy the filesystem to an image on another drive. From there you can try mounting the image as a loopback mount, or fixing it with e2fsck etc.

Another possibility is that the drive's circuit board has failed. If you have another of the same model drive around, you could try swapping circuit boards.

--
"We actually do 100,000 pages or more a day in Bork"
-- Marissa Mayer, Google