2003 Sep 29 08:36

Re: [vox-tech] Bash question

If I understand you right, you want an exit code from your script. And then read that code.

That is done like this:

------------- /opt/myapp/bin/config -------------------
#!/bin/sh

# check stuff here...

# set env vars here...
export MYVAR="/path/to/executable"

if [ test ]; then
exit 1
fi

if [ test2 ]; then
exit 2
fi

exit 0

---------------------------

You should then be able to run in .bachrc

. /opt/myapp/bin/config

echo $? ## to find out the exit code
echo $MYVAR ## should return /path/to/executable

Am I misunderstanding the question?

Mark

Jay Strauss wrote:

Hi,

I want to get the path of the file from a script called from .bashrc. Like:

##.bashrc
. /opt/myapp/bin/config

## /opt/myapp/bin/config
pwd
echo $0

In this case during login:
pwd = /home/jstrauss
$0 = -bash

I'd like to get a variable with the value /opt/myapp/bin/config
but I can't find a combination of commands that will give my that during
login or su

Jay