2003 Sep 25 15:35

Re: [vox-tech] one of the most pernicious spams i've ever seen.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:45:04AM -0700, David Margolis wrote:
> My wife and I talked about how tragic it would be if an elderly
> person answered, or a mentally disabled person, or anybody else who
> otherwise might be a bit easier to take advantage of.  They were very good
> at the scam.

We just received a call ('unknown' on caller ID, so the ans. mach. got it)
with a messaging saying "Yeah, we've been trying to reach you, but I guess
we'll go ahead and leave a message.  Since you've been paying your
mortgage on time..."

That's when I said "hang up on 'em".  :)  We rent an apartment. :)

> The lady (it seemed like the same lady everytime) even left a phone
> number.  When you called the number, it would be her on an answering
> machine telling you to _go ahead and leave your name and social security
> number_ at the tone.

Okay, that's just desparate, on their (the scammers') part. :^)

<snip>
> For what it's worth, from an HTTP/URI and JavaScript point of view, this
> scam is clever, especially when it redirects the parent window back to the
> REAL citibank site (that is just an excellent touch).

I gotta admit, I agree.