2003 Sep 25 14:53

RE: [vox-tech] one of the most pernicious spams i've ever seen.

RE: [vox-tech] one of the most pernicious spams i've ever seen.

> I thought the Secret Service for the most part was the group that
> investigated computer crime.  Or am I behind the times?

You're right. I remember the Bee doing a story in 09/2002 about the Secret
Service Sacramento Branch investigating a variation on the Nigerian Banking
scam.

"Trail of Nigerian bank scheme leads agent right back home, September 24,
2002, By Edgar Sanchez"

The Secret Service , according to the task force staff page,
http://www.sachitechcops.org/agencies.htm , has 2 agents participating.

I imagine that the task force serves as a "clearinghouse" for all
"computer/electronic/internet" crimes that occur in the participating
jurisdictions, so as to make it simpler for people to report crimes to one
agency, vs. trying to ascertain the appropriate law enforcement agency to
contact.

The Bee solicits "scam" stories. Edgar Sanchez mailto:ESanchez@sacbee.com
used to cover them.
(916)321-1132  or mailto:scam@sacbee.com