2003 Sep 23 14:23

Re: [vox-tech] Resizing Root Partition

Michael J Wenk wrote:

> The reasons you like to
> seperate partitions is due to fsck, and times it takes for a fsck to
> run.

Historically, the reason to use partitions is to protect / (root)
because time was (original AT&T Unix System 5; circa early '90s)
that when root filled up, there was a high probability that the system
would crash.

Since most processes use /tmp for temporary storage and since
the print spooler uses /var, it seems prudent to put each in its own
partition so that a runaway job doesn't fill up / (root). True, a process
or the printers would stop, but at least the other users continued
uninterrupted.

> <snip>

Back on topic:
I like Michael's assessment that java is probably trying to
install itself in /opt. And after Richard frees up some space in / (root) and
makes a pointer link of /opt ("mkdir /usr/opt; ln -s /usr/opt /opt"),
he'll be up and running without having to operate on his OS.

Also, after reading the dialog on this thread, it occurred to me that Richard's
/home shouldn't be located in / (root). Maybe moving it to /usr and linking
it back would be in order.