2003 Sep 23 11:42

Re: [vox-tech] Resizing Root Partition

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:49:21AM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 September 2003 10:36 am, Michael J Wenk wrote:
> > It is bad to have root's homedirectory on /.  What I do is move it to
> > /home/root and symlink /root to it.
>
> This would be a problem if /home becomes corrupt and you
> need to log in as root to fix it.
>
> Also users should be discouraged from doing anything except
> system administration as root.  So there should not be much
> in root's home directory, and no compelling reason to put it
> into a different filesystem.
>
> -- Rod
>    http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

If you do a bunch of module installs as root using mod_cpan, it puts
data in /root.  There are other programs that slot stuff in the home
directory of the user running it(now there is an argument to not run
anything not requiring root as root, but it does happen.)
Also, with linux, there is no requirement for the home directory to
be there to login, which some other systems had.

This is the way I work, especially in systems where I may not have full
control.