2003 Sep 23 09:10

Re: [vox-tech] Resizing Root Partition

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 08:57:18AM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 September 2003 08:48 am, Richard Crawford wrote:
> > I'm trying to install Java onto my server at home so that I can start
> > mucking around with JSP and Tomcat.  Unfortunately, the Java SDK refuses
> > to install, telling me that I don't have enough disk space.  I ran df to
> > get the disk usage, and this is what I get:
> >
> > root@hagrid:~/
> > # df -h
> > Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/hda1             486M  462M  4.0K 100% /
> > /dev/hda6              25G  6.2G   17G  27% /home
> > none                  125M     0  124M   0% /dev/shm
> > /dev/hda7              99M  4.1M   89M   5% /tmp
> > /dev/hda2             4.8G  1.5G  3.1G  32% /usr
> > /dev/hda3             494M  167M  301M  36% /var
>
> I would look for ways to move some things from / to other
> partitions.  If necessary you can symlink to the new
> locations.  Also Java and friends are probably best
> installed somewhere in /usr, not /.

My guess is that java is not trying to go into /, but /opt.  I would
probably avoid resizing the root partition, as many things can go
wrong(I assume its possible, I have done this under HP-UX, but not
linux.)  First clean up files in / then, check for a /opt, if there is
not one, then you can just
mkdir /usr/opt
ln -s /usr/opt /opt

If there is a /opt already, then do: