2003 Sep 23 10:23

[vox-tech] bogofilter newbie

hi all,

ok, i just apt-got bogofilter.  pretty shocking how little documentation
came with the package.  googling turned up a bogofilter FAQ which seems
pretty good.

so now i have 4 methods to start a database; method 1 (full training)
seems like the easiest.  so i separated my mail between good mail and
spam.  i plan on doing

bogofilter -s < spam.mbox
bogofilter -n < nonspam.mbox

i'm still a bit unsure what to do after this initial training.  the FAQ
mentions that there are two things i can do:

1. update bogofilter's wordlists with every incoming message, using the
   -u option.  if i understand it, -u will first classify the spam, then
   update bogofilter's wordlist.  that seems like asking for trouble.
   if you filter to /dev/null based on bogofilter's output, how do you
   correct mistakes?  and it seems like mistakes here will cause more
   mistakes in the future.

   i assume you do this with:

   :0fw
   | bogofilter -f -p -u -l -e -v

   also, shouldn't there be a "c" in the procmail colon line?  how does
   mail get past this recipe?  isn't it considered "delivered" when an
   email matches a recipe unless you use ":0c"?

2. train on error only.  this seems better to me.

which training method do people use?

if anybody wants to write a little about how they go about using
bogofilter on a day by day basis, i'd appreciate some guidance.

the number of options available seem pretty staggering.

pete