2003 Sep 23 22:50

Re: [vox-tech] backing up DVDs (was Re: [vox] fair use / DVD questions)

Re: [vox-tech] backing up DVDs (was Re: [vox] fair use / DVD questions)

Thanks for all the response about DVD burning. I'll have to try out cdrecord-prodvd.

Pete:

I actually used an external DVD+/-RW drive (and an external HD) connected to my laptop through a PMCMCIA USB2.0 card. As far as I could tell, no problems with byte transfer there at all, after I got it all setup. My 2.4.20 kernel liked to crash when I ejected the card, though, but I found a work-a-round.

I also just bought a motherboard with both USB2 and firewire built in. Haven't tried external devices with it in Linux yet, but I don't anticipate any problems.

Jonathan