2003 Sep 16 15:17

[vox-tech] backing up DVDs (was Re: [vox] fair use / DVD questions)

[vox-tech] backing up DVDs (was Re: [vox] fair use / DVD questions)

Not too long ago I acquired a Sony DVD+/-RW drive and looked into 'backing up' a purchased DVD onto DVD5 media. The best resource I found was:

http://www.doom9.org/

Unfortunately, the software is all for windows. I did find a some stuff for linux (dvd::rip) that would rip the DVD to a hardrive and transcode to something that fits on a CD (VCD, AVI, etc.), but I had no luck converting the title VOBs to something usable that would burn to a DVD5.

In addition, I had no success buring DVD+R/RW media in linux using dvd+rw-tools. I have not yet tried dvd-record with DVD-R/RW media.

Anyone have a positive experience backing up DVDs in linux? writing DVD+ media in linux?

Jonathan

p@dirac.org wrote:
has any company or organization challenged the right for the public to
make backup copies of their own commercially purchased DVD's?

are there any affordable home consumer DVD writers that can write to
DVD9 (single side, double layer, ~9GB) disks?

pete