January 6: Social gathering
2003 Sep 13 00:28

Re: [vox-tech] minimalist debian?

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 07:19:49PM -0700, David Margolis wrote:
[...]
> Here's my question: What's the easiest way to install a very-barebones
> Debian?  The thing I've always really liked about Slackware is
> that it makes no assumptions whatsover about the kind of installation
> you'd like to do, so while certainly being less user-friendly, the
> intaller allows you to really whittle your system to a few hundred megs of
> essentials (that's with X and KDE and quite a few other goodies) as
> opposed to a few gigs of libraries and dependancies for redundant programs
> I'll never use.

This is certainly possible on Debian. After you install using floppies or
CD-ROM and boot the newly installed system, you will be prompted to select
tasks and to run dselect. If you decline to do either then you may run
apt-get install manually for whatever specific packages you wants. Of course,
dependancies must be met, but you will still only end up with those extra
packages that are needed to support the ones you request.

The package catalog at http:/;/packages.debian.org is you friend.

--
Henry House
See <http://hajhouse.org/pgp> for information.  My OpenPGP key: