January 6: Social gathering
2003 Sep 01 14:01

Re: [vox-tech] USB Conflict Woes

On Mon 01 Sep 03,  1:31 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> said:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 12:09:58PM -0700, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > ...Or, at least, I *think* it's some sort of USB conflict.
>
> Hrm...  I see you're using usb-uhci.  I recall there's another module,
> 'usb-ohci', if I remember correctly.  It's been a LONG time since I
> looked into this kind of stuff, but I vaguely remember (maybe from
> when I was getting my Zaurus cradle set up... which I never use, BTW :) )
> that in some cases you wanted the _other_ USB driver module.
>
> *shrug*  Hopefully I'm not pointing you in a totally wrong direction,
> but it might be worth spending 5 mins to Google ("ohci" vs "uhci")
>
> :^)  Good luck, and sorry if I've just wasted your time.

it takes longer to write than to read.  ;)

you're talking about host architectures.  they depend on your
motherboard (or PCI card if you're using USB through PCI), not device.
USB devices can use both OHCI and UHCI.  otherwise you'd see two versions
of every USB device.

i don't believe a USB host controller will be registered by the wrong
driver.  from his original post, i saw UHCI sucessfully registered.  so
this isn't his problem.

fwiw, OHCI is used by:

   * most non x86 systems
   * some non x86 systems that don't use use Intel chipsets

you can read the kenrel docs to learn exactly what's used by UHCI and
OHCI, but like i said, the hub got registered, so i doubt this is the
problem.

pete