2003 Aug 27 10:57

Re: [vox-tech] multisession cd-writing

Ken Bloom wrote:
On 2003.08.26 08:27, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

I am trying to do multisession cd-writing.  My system is a laptop with a
Toshiba DVD/CDRW combo drive, running RH9.  I previously was able to use
gtoaster for trouble-free multi-session cd writes, but suddenly I
cannot!  The first write session is fine, but various errors occur on
subsequent sessions.

I don't know when the break occurred:  after I upgraded from RH8 to RH9,
or after I tried using a USB2 DVD+RW (which worked for reading, but not
quite for writing in Linux).

Anyway, I tried command line mkisofs and cdrecord to see if it would
work instead of gtoaster.  On a blank CDRW:

#mkisofs -r -J -f /home/jjstickel/temp/to_burn_symb/ | cdrecord -v
-eject -multi speed=4 -

writes and mounts an initial session OK.  To write some more, I try:

#cdrecord -v -msinfo
xx,yy
#mkisofs -r -J -f -C xx,yy -M /dev/scd0
/home/jjstickel/temp/to_burn_symb/ | cdrecord -v -eject -multi speed=4 -

seems to write OK; at least the output progress looks good and there are
no errors.  However, upon remount I can only see what written in the
first session (yes, I put something different in the target directory)!
 Any help out there?

Jonathan

One thing I found with my LG-8080-B CD-Writer was that I had to literally eject the cdrom in order to make it recognize that the data had changed. (mount -o remount doesn't work, and umount && mount doesn't work, only eject && mount). That could explain why my Windows CD burner software always used to physically eject the CD then suck it back in, even without me asking.
I thought I had this covered by using the eject option with cdrecord, but I must have been shoving it back in too quickly, or KDE's automount was being wacky. Anyway, I swear it wasn't working when I made the post, but this morning I put the cd back in and I can see everything after all! Well anyway, I know how to do command line cd-writing now.

Jonathan