2003 Aug 22 02:56

Re: [vox-tech] dns, apache question

There are several options, but I have a couple of questions/answers:

1. where/who is hosting www.mydomain.com?

If you, then you can do a simple redirect on your home page.
-------------- simple html redirect ---------------------------------

<head>
<title>HTML REDIRECT</title>

I believe the "0" is the number of seconds that the browser waits until doing the redirect.

2. where/who is hosting your dns server(s)?

It sounds like you are not, but whomever is may have a service for a few dollars a year that will perform the above http/s redirection for you.

Mark

Charles McLaughlin wrote:

At work, I have root access to a Apache server, but don't have access to
the DNS servers.

I would love to be able to associate domain names to the Apache server,
but I would have to ask the sys admins for help and they would frown on
this sort of thing.

I guess what I'm asking is this:

Is there any way to get www.mydomain.com to point to
www.mycompany.com/~myHomeDir without having access to the DNS servers at
my job?

I was hoping this could be done with a Apache virtual host, but after
reading up on that, it doesn't sound possible...

Thanks!

Charles