2003 Aug 17 08:55

Re: [vox-tech] "PASSED"

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 05:44:29PM -0700, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> After so many boots Linux does fsck.  When this happens on my system I get
> "PASSED"  for /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda8.  What types of problems give rise to
> "PASSED"?

There is no problem, you simply reached the maximal mount count or exceeded
the time between checks. It is checking them every once in a while to make
sure that they are OK.

Read the manpage for tune2fs if you want to adjust these paramaters.

> And if I install a new distro over this Mandrake 9.0 system, and format
> /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda8, will the problems disappear?

No, this is a feature not a bug. You could disable it, but I reccomend you
don't.

Set them to values with a large "least common multiple", probably by setting
each partition to check after a diffrent, prime number of mounts.

Try some of these values, with smaller values on smaller partitions.

17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37