January 6: Social gathering
2003 Aug 16 17:13

Re: [vox-tech] re: IBM Esssolo1 Sound

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, D & E Radel wrote:

[snip]
> > > Disable serial and parallel ports (and anything else you
> > > see in the BIOS setup) and see if that helps.  Do it even
> > > if you need these hardware, so at least you can identify
> > > the problem.  Also try updating the BIOS with the latest
> > > from IBM, if any.  Let us know what happens!
> >
> > Ok, will do and will post back results.
> >
> > Thanks people,
> > Dietrich
>
> All I could disable was the printer port. The serial and IR ports
> already disabled. Still stupid noise emits from speaker when
> a sound file is played. There is an option to change IRQ stuff
> for the PCI's but unsure of what settings affect the card.
>
> What to do now?

Distribute the IRQs so fewest possible PCI slots share IRQs.  Since the
serial and parallel ports are disabled, IRQs 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9 should be
free.  Try to assign PCIs to those IRQs if you can.

If any of the PCI slots share IRQs, try it out, and if it still doesn't
work, try a different IRQ-sharing combination.

Good luck!

-Mark

PS: What software are you using under Linux to test the sound card?

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/